20 Lessons I Learned in 2020
As I am sure we have all experienced, 2020 was one of those years from the books. It was full of ups, and full of a lot more downs, but most importantly, it was full of learning curves that taught me about the world and what is most important in it. We went through a worldwide pandemic, that we are still growing through, and we went through SO many other changes. I like to look at the horrible situation as a lesson. Rather than being upset about what’s happening, I have decided to find the gratitude and the learning opportunities in the challenges that were presented to us last year. And I would love to share them with you all – I hope these serve you in some way!
- The person who you are going to spend the most time with is you. You need to learn to love yourself and be okay with that person you’re spending time with. Learning to love yourself is a journey, but it’s in that process that you grow into the beautiful person you are meant to be. 2021 is the year where I am in love with me, and I can’t wait to work with other women to help them experience this journey for themselves!
- Your health should be your number one priority!!! We need to take care of ourselves in a preventive manner before it’s too late — gotta take care of that immune system! This year there has definitely been a large promotion on band-aid fixes such as “social-distancing” and “staying home”, but mainstream media has failed to remind us that there are other ways to help take care of ourselves against viruses and disease. Things such as eating whole foods, taking nutritional supplements, exercising, sleeping well, taking care of your mind, and so much more, are important ways of preventing disease. If you’d love to learn more about this, reach out to me and we can chat!
- Material things don’t really matter as much as I used to think they did. It’s the little things that matter, like the people you surround yourself with, the way you feel each day, and the things you do that make you happy.
- On that note – it’s SO important to find those things that make you happy. And do those things every damn day. Life is too short to be unhappy. Sometimes life gets in the way and you forget to do those things for yourself. What I learned last year is that we need to actually schedule in that time each day, each week, and each month to do those things that make us smile. Having so much time off at the beginning of the pandemic showed me that I forgot about doing those things, so this year it is my biggest intention to put the things that make me happy into my calendar every single day.
- We rely so much on our jobs and careers, but they can be taken away from us just like that. Find a way to create a second income, find a way to make sure you’ll be secure when everything goes astray. Start your own business, join an online company…. anything that can be there for you NOW and WHEN you may need it. More importantly, find that thing that lights your heart up. There are so many options out there for you, why not create something that will help you live the life of your dreams?!
- Perspective is everything. How you choose, yes choose, to see the world is how it will be for you. You can choose to see it from a place of fear, or you can choose to look at things from a perspective of love. Love helps you to find the lessons, the gratitude in the challenges you face. Always ask yourself this question before making any decisions in life – how can I do this from a place of love? or how can I choose love here?
- Don’t fucking settle!!! Again, this is the only life we have – why waste it hanging with people you don’t like, in a job you hate, doing things you don’t want to do?? We are taught that we have to do this and have to do that, but it is time that you learn that YOU have the power to create your reality. Anything is possible, stop allowing society to tell you otherwise, trust in the universe and your own power to manifest what you know you deserve.
- Difficult times show you who your true friends are. Keep those good ones close, and let the others go, you don’t need them in your life anymore. You only need to make room for the people who make you feel worthy, those people who truly light your heart up. Again here, don’t settle for people who don’t know what they want, only allow those people in your life who choose you 100%.
- Not everyone has the same heart as you. People will let you down, they will make you upset, and they will do things that don’t make sense to you. Most of the time it is not their fault, it is just because they are different than you. Be kind and spread love anyways.
- Boundaries are SO important. You need to show the universe and other people that you are the most important. This is the number one way to take care of yourself most, and to find true happiness in life. If not, others will take advantage of you and you will not be able to live YOUR life to its fullest potential. If people do not respect your boundaries and what is important to you, then you do not want those people in your life anyways. People are going to judge you no matter what you do, you might as well be doing what makes you feel fulfilled, rather than trying to make others happy in the process of letting yourself down.
- Stop letting fear get in your way. Instead, let fear push you in the right direction. Courage doesn’t mean you are not afraid, courage means being afraid but doing that thing anyways!
- You need to work your shit out in order to truly heal. You might think you’re over something, but instead you might just be suppressing it and forgetting about it. Ever wonder why you’re always put into the same situation over and over again? That’s because the universe will not allow you to grow until you truly move past your trauma. This was a huge lesson I learned in 2020, when I was forced to spend way too much time with myself and my own thoughts. I was forced to fully heal from my past trauma in my relationship. I knew I had finally moved past this when the universe presented me with a beautiful new relationship that I deserved.
- Community connection is needed. Yes you need to get comfortable with being alone, but that doesn’t mean that we don’t need connection with other people. If you don’t have people to support you in those low times, it can be incredibly easy to feel alone and to fall into an emotional hole. I could not be more grateful for the Healthstyle Emporium community for helping me through a very difficult year. Click here if you are feeling alone and wanting to find a new community of like-minded women to support you in creating all of your wildest dreams!
- What you spend the most time on is what you are prioritizing in your life. Show me your calendar and I will show you what is most important to you. Are you spending most of your time binging Netflix and scrolling social media? Now there’s nothing wrong with doing those things, but if you have goals to live your best life, this is not what you should be spending all your time on. Just like you need to schedule in time for the things that you love, you also need to schedule everything – when you’re going to work on you business, workout, make calls, content creation… organization is key! If you don’t spend time doing those things that will help you to move towards your goals, you will get “stuck” like so many do, in that endless Netflix binge.
- Life is all about balance. The world exists in duality, there is no denying it. This is one of the laws of the universe. Basically this means that there are always two sides to every coin, but it is the same coin – everything that appears as opposites, simply are two extremities of the same thing. That is why we cannot have light without dark, day without night, joy without anger, happiness without sadness, and so on. This law really taught me the ability to balance my emotions and the way that I see the world. It’s easier said than done, but it is something I am bringing forward into this new chapter of life.
- Successful people have mentors, unsuccessful people have friends with opinions. When you want to create your dream life, you should be getting advice from people who have done that before, people who are living the life that you are wishing to create! What you should not be doing, is asking advice from friends and family who are not living life to it’s fullest and have never gone after their dreams.
- Make your own decisions, stop listening to what everyone is telling you. This kind of goes along with the previous lesson, however takes it a step further. It is important to take advice from those who came before you, however it is more important to listen to your intuition, to do what you know will be best for you! Just because something worked for someone else, doesn’t mean it will work for everyone. Focus on how something makes you feel, rather than how you think you should be doing it just because everyone else is. Focus on you, your intuition never lies!
- Rest is a necessity. I think we all got caught up in the “hustle” of the modern world, but this past year has really showed me that we need to make more time to rest, to relax, and to just flow. Personally, I’ve always been someone who is on the go 25/8, who always needed to be doing something at every moment, who felt horrible when I just sat down for 30 minutes doing absolutely nothing. However, when the pandemic first hit last year I was literally forced to stop, as I was out of my job for the first time ever. Thankfully I still had my business, but that pause on everything else in my life really put into perspective the importance of slowing down and intentionally moving through the ebbs and flows. I realized that I was so burnt out from the constant hustle mindset, that I wasn’t even enjoying life anymore. This was also a reminder that life is a journey that we don’t know the destination to, so it is just SO important to enjoy the ride while creating your dream reality – because maybe this journey we are on is the dream we’ve been asking for all along.
- You only grow when you get uncomfortable. 2020 was a year FULL of uncomfortability. It was a year that pushed us all down, maybe in different ways, but I am sure we can all agree we got knocked down at least a few times! But through these difficulties is where I learned my lessons, is where I was pushed to change, and where I was forced to grow. I’ve always found that in the most difficult times of life were where I really bloomed. Because growth cannot occur when you stand still. You can either choose to be comfortable or you can choose to grow, but you can’t have it both ways.
- It is okay not to be okay. Overall, like I said 2020 was full of its ups and its downs, and it knocked us on our ass. But that’s okay. It’s okay if you didn’t accomplish everything you thought you could. It’s okay if you didn’t make as much progress as the person next to you. Give yourself a break. Show yourself some love for making it through this year! If you’re here reading this, you made it! 2021 isn’t off to the ideal start, I totally understand that, but you’ve learned SO much and have grown SO much through the challenges you’ve faced, you can make it through whatever is thrown your way. And on those days that you can’t, those days where all you can do is wake up, that is okay. Be grateful that you are able to take another breath this morning, that you are alive. Give yourself some credit, and continue moving forward. You are STILL a badass even if you have some difficult days. You are still important and you are still and always will be loved.
I hope these lessons served you in some way, and my wish for you is that you take time to reflect back on the past and all of the beautiful lessons that you were taught from the challenges you faced last year. If you are ready to up-level this year to your best self – click here to contact me!
Love and light, through and through,